Free CSS Navigation Menu Designs 2 at

TEMPLES IN Tirunelveli

Nellaiappar Temple

This sivasthalam is one of the Pancha Sabha Temples (Copper) of Lord Shiva. This is one of the big temples in Pandiya Naadu measuring 756 in length and 378 feet in breadth. There are 2 temples at Tirunelveli, one for Lord Shiva who is known as Nellaiappar and the other one for Kanthimathi Ammai. Both the temples are located side by side and a corridor joins both the temples. On the southern prakaram of the presiding male deity's temple, the stone statues of Nayak Kings are found who have made immense contributions for the development of this temple. The beautiful statue of Lord Arumugam (Muruga) with His 2 consorts Valli and Deivaanai sitting on His mount Peacock can be seen in the west prakaram. This statue is beautifully carved from single block of big stone. From the eastern prakaram, one has to enter through a series of mandapams to reach the sanctum sanctorum of Nellaiappar.


Kanthimathi Temple

The temple of female deity Kanthimathi Ammai can be reached from the south prakaram and passing through the connecting corridor. The 1000 pillar mandapam inside the female deity's temple is very famous and it is here the celestial wedding of Kanthimathi Ammai with Nellaiappar takes place every year during the festival in the Tamil month of Aippasi corresponding to October 15th to November 15th

Sri Varadharaja Perumal Temple

Sri Varadharaja Perumal Kovil is situated in Tirunelveli Junction, on the banks of the perennial river Thamirabarani. It is an ancient and reputed Vishnu temple.

Mela Thiruvenkatanathapuram Temple

The Mela Thiruvenkatanathapuram temple is located 7 to 10 km south west of Tirunelveli, on the banks of perennial river Thamirabarani. Also known as Thirunankovil, it has Lord Srinivasa as the deity.

Holy Trinity Cathedral

The Holy Trinity Cathedral, Palayamkottai, a big, elegant and beautiful church, was built in 1826 by Rev. CTE Rhenius - the Apostle of Tirunelveli (Charles Theophilus Ewald Rhenius), and opened to public for worship on 26 June 1826. Bishop Corrie named it as Holy Trinity Church on 30 January 1836. Bishop Stephen Neill raised the status of the Church into a Cathedral. Many renovations and additions were made to this structure. This church still serves as a nucleus for this massive Cathedral which developed in later years. Church of glorinda is located one kilometre east to holy cathedral.

| Home | About Tirunelveli | History | Important Places | How to Reach | Where to stay | Tourist Info | Online Enquiry | Contact Us | Site Map |

Our Group Portals

| | | | | | |

| | | | | | |

| || |  | | | | |

New No 36, Old No 56, Kalaimagal Nagar 2nd Main road, Ekkatuthangal,Chennai 600032. Phone: 044 48525342 / 42010929, Mobile :+91 98402 79047, Email:

Powered By: J B Soft System, Chennai